A nice set of pearly whites can boost your confidence and give you the best possible chance at success and love. If your teeth are less than perfect, porcelain veneers are a great way to get the smile you’ve always wanted. If you’d like to know more about this procedure, Bite Dental Works in Calgary is happy to fill you in.
What are porcelain veneers?
A dental veneer is a thin piece of porcelain that’s bonded to an existing tooth. It can be used to cover a number of imperfections, including discoloured, cracked, chipped or misshapen teeth.
How are veneers fitted?
Being fitted with porcelain veneers is usually done over the course of two appointments. At the first appointment, your dentist will take impressions of your teeth and choose the correct colour. Your tooth’s new shell will then be created in a dental lab. Once they’re ready, they’ll be applied to your teeth using a binding agent.
Benefits of porcelain veneers
There are many benefits to choosing veneers over other types of cosmetic dentistry. Dental veneers are:
• Effective. Not only do veneers cover a multitude of minor imperfections, they’re also very durable. With proper care, modern porcelain veneers can last up to 15 years.
• Stain resistant. Porcelain veneers resist stains to a greater degree than natural teeth. If your teeth are discoloured and can’t be whitened, veneers will keep your smile shiny and white.
• Imperceptible. Nobody will be able to tell that you have veneers once they’re fitted. That’s because the material mimics not only the look of natural teeth, but also the way your teeth reflect light.
• Low maintenance. As long as you make sure to avoid biting on hard surfaces, veneers are easy to care for. All you need to do is to make sure you brush your teeth twice a day, floss daily, and visit the dentist twice a year for cleaning and checkups.
• Minimally invasive. Only a tiny amount of your enamel needs to be removed for bonding the porcelain, while other devices, such as dental crowns, may require much more of your tooth to be stripped away.